As mobile phones started improving throughout the years, they delivered more features which you could use. At one point, you weren’t just limited to texting or calling someone, finally, mail services started working. In this sense, you could feel kind of lost and disconnected with the world if you didn’t have a phone when traveling.
The same can be said now for the internet. If you’re going on a short trip or on a bit longer holiday, you may feel like you’re cut off from the world. But you shouldn’t be prevented from having access to a good WiFi signal or no signal at all. With the best portable WIFI router, you improve your internet connection when traveling.
In the tech world, portability is often used properly. We can see that with the following example, the GL-MT300N mini WIFI router that Is smaller than your smartphone. Not only that it is small, it is quite powerful too.
With this mini router, you can make your own secure and private connection to a public network. For additional security, you can even use already installed VPN clients that hide your IP.
- Compact and lightweight as it only weighs 39 grams
- Can convert any public network into your own private connection
- Powered by either a USB connection or directly to a power source
- Offers two ethernet connections for LAN purposes and hardware-based security
- Comes with a USB cable, manual, and a one-year warranty
- VPN and TOR services are already included in the hardware if you want more security
- You can make your own home network even if you are connected to a public hotspot
- Portable and pocket-friendly, it is so small, you will have trouble finding it
- Can be powered both with power banks and with an adapter
- Download and upload speeds are limited
- User interface only shows VPN options
- Some customers reported that their connection was unstable
HooToo TripMate Elite
The HooToo TripMate Elite is one of the most popular mini-WIFI routers on the market. You can create your own secure and private WIFI network with this device. There is even an ability to stream videos, photos, and other media onto your smart devices. It has an integrated power bank which can charge most phones up to two times.
- Turns any public WIFI network into your own private one
- Contains an improved chipset called MTK7620 which allows greater speeds
- Has a USB hub comprising out of 4 USB ports
- A 6000mAh power bank is integrated into the router and can charge your phone
- Router is charged directly into a power outlet
- You can charge both your router and smart devices at the same time in the outlet
- The power bank makes it even more versatile for frequent travelers
- Media such as videos can be streamed onto multiple smart devices
- Doesn’t limit your download speeds since the chipset had a modern upgrade
- Can’t work on 5GHz frequency connections
- Doesn’t have an 802.11ac security parameter
- Limited only to USB connections, doesn’t have microSD inputs
This portable WIFI router from Edimax will push a compact design to its extremes. It is one of the smallest routers available and it weighs less than an ounce.
It contains both WAN and LAN ports even at this size, which grants you greater flexibility. Even wired connections can be converted into a private WIFI network with this device. It supports modern security standards and protocols while using a low amount of power.
- Supports 802.11b/g and 802.11n internet protocols
- The router can convert anything into a wireless device once connected to LAN ports
- Supports most of the newest security standards
- Uses low amounts of power and can be completely wireless just with a USB port powered connection
- Won’t heat up and throttle as it is green and uses low amounts of power
- One of the smallest portable WiFi routers on the market
- Even with its size it has two LAN ports for wired connections
- Download and upload speeds are not throttled
- Doesn’t work well with most streaming media like Netflix
- The user interface of the device isn’t that well made
- Some customers complained about the stability of the USB power cable
The best portable WIFI router models are becoming more advanced through the years. They get to support faster speeds, start supporting VPN services and some even started offering streaming. But the main key point of all these devices is portability and secure connections that will leave you with privacy.
Since it is marketed towards people who travel a lot and need a private connection, portability is the feature most desirable. These three models were quite remarkable, but there were still some negative sides that put us off. The HooToo TripMate Elite was the best one given by its features. It didn’t only restrict itself as a router, it offers you a lot of features which may come in handy if you travel.
You can use it as a power bank for your phone and you can even stream media from it onto other devices. We do dislike that it doesn’t have the ability to use MicroSD cards. But its main features still out best GLiNet’s VPN services and the smallest size available from Edimax.
If you plan on traveling and just can’t survive without a stable internet connection, then the best portable WIFI router will do its job. They are quite compact and some even tend to be pocket-sized. Some models might even scare you off since you might have troubles with losing it. But for the chance of having not only a stable, but a private connection, it is worth it.
All of the devices reviewed by us were really great. Some were far better when it comes down to download speeds while other had superior security options. In the end, we recommend the HooToo TripMate Elite as the ultimate option. Its versatility and ability to offer high download speeds is really something that you should look for.